ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:24:01 -0400

What Jeff said.

In almost every case when I've heard someone say "It won't work/won't be
good/etc if..." I can think of exceptions. I've seen great stuff at
centers that are small, and great stuff at ones that are immense. I've
seen great things that use common household materials, and ones that use
exotic, specialized equipment; great high-tech presentations + great
low-tech/almost no-tech ones. Great exhibits that are quiet +
contemplative, great ones that are loud + chaotic. Great ones that are
didactic + great ones that a complete free inquiry. And so on.

IMHO, one of the most important lessons about science centers can be
summed up by the great political leader Richard Wilkins III: "There's
more than one way to skin a cat. And I happen to know that's literally
true."

Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
The Children's Museum

"To be an inventor, you need a good imagination, and a big pile of
junk."
    -Thomas Edison