ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:26:20 -0400

Hi Bruce,

As you are considering the technical details (I'd suggest at least
10' clear ceiling height, and a combination of tracks and fixed
fluorescent lighting, for example. Also,  the books "On the Road
Again: Developing and Managing Traveling Exhibitions" by Rebecca A.
Buck and Jean Allman Gilmore, published by AAM, and "Good Show a
Practical Guide for Temporary Exhibitions" by Lothar P. Wittenborg,
published by The Smithsonian,  address logistical details in great
depth. )

But, more importantly, I'd also urge you to consider a slight shift
in institutional focus as well.

Could you rename/rethink of your proposed new space as a
"temporary" (or changing, or experimental, etc.etc.) rather than a
"traveling" exhibit gallery?

This really is more than a nomenclature issue.  Once you get into a
"traveling show" mindset (and climb onto that unending traveling
exhibit treadmill) you cede some part of your institutional identity,
and institutional capacity for creating and implementing exhibit
ideas, to outsiders.
You also at some point become a slave to the calendar and are often
willing to take shows you might not otherwise consider just to "fill
the slot."  In addition, traveling shows are often not a very
efficient or sustainable use of resources. Can a museum be "green"
and still host traveling exhibitions? (Just asking!)

One alternative approach that several ASTC museums are taking is
spending the same amount of total resources (rental, shipping,
promotion) they  might normally spend during a particular three or
four month exhibit rental period to develop permanent exhibits
internally (using local designers, artists, and fabricators.)  After
the show closes they have several options for reutilizing the
exhibits they created, but the idea that appeals to me most is to use
the new components throughout your facility and/or community to
"refresh" your ENTIRE museum presence, not just  the same 5000 square
foot chunk every few months.

Sorry to get wound up, but I just think the notion of automatically
inserting a "traveling exhibits gallery" into every museum expansion
plan is outmoded.

On Apr 22, 2008, at Tuesday, Apr 22     3:32 PM, bruce quast wrote:

> As part of our museum's expansion, we are planning a new 5000 sq. ft.
> traveling exhibits hall. I am interested in what other museums have
> done
> when creating a new space for traveling exhibits.

Paul Orselli, President and Chief Instigator

Paul Orselli Workshop (POW!)
1684 Victoria Street
Baldwin, NY  11510

<http://www.orselli.net>