ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:43:08 -0500

Hi All,

This is a way far out way to maybe beat this problem in avery retro way:

How about using a carbon mic? These were once very popular (in the 1920s
and 1930s) and they are rock solid and virtually indestructible. You can
use a telephone transmitter from a fairly modern phone. All you have to
do is support it with springs at the center of a ring to prevent
extraneous noises. You also need a local battery and retardation coil
ahead of the amp.

If nothing else you'll get a lot of questions about the cool mic you are
using!

John Bowditch
Exhibits Director
Ann Arbor Hands-On museum