ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn B Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:39:32 -0400
conference offers sessions for both the beginner and advanced case study
teacher along with a one day track for high school teachers. In addition to
our distinguished group of session teachers, we have brought in two noted
scholars to address the general conference; below is a summary of each
plenary.

- Pat Marsteller, Director, Center for Science Education, and Professor of
Practice, Department of Biology, Emory University; "Reinventing Science
Teaching: Using PBL and Case Studies in Middle through Grad School",  No one
learns anything unless they are engaged. This presentation addresses the use
of PBL and case studies to create a compelling "need to know" in students
from middle school through graduate school. Since 2003, Emory's Problems and
Research to Integrate Science and Mathematics (PRISM) program has offered
graduate and undergraduate students fellowship opportunities to partner with
local teachers to engage middle and high school students in science and math
through problem-based learning.

- Cathy Middlecamp, Associate Professor, Nelson Institute for Environmental
Studies, and Howe Bascom Professor, Integrated Liberal Studies Program,
University of Wisconsin-Madison; "Unclear Nuclear": We would have a
different history - and different stories to tell - if we had been born with
the ability to detect nuclear radiation. The fact that we weren't is one of
the many reasons why it is challenging to teach concepts relating to the
nuclear sciences. When engaging students with a case study that involves
nuclear something-or-other (e.g., medical radioisotopes, power plants,
forensics, uranium enrichment, dirty bombs), instructors can do a better job
if they know the difficulties that students experience when learning the
underlying concepts and facts.

HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS - Our "mini" track is made up of three sessions on
Saturday specifically designed for high school science teachers (though
others, we think, will find it of interest too!).

Our conference will be led by Dr. Clyde (Kipp) Herreid, SUNY Distinguished
Teaching Professor and Director of the National Center for Case Study
Teaching in Science. The conference is open to anyone interested in science
education including high school teachers and international teachers. See
below for a full listing of the conference sessions and other information.
Our conference also includes a poster session and we would be pleased if you
submitted a proposal by August 30, 2012. Register now for this rewarding
2-day Case Study Teaching in Science Conference, which takes place on
September 21-22, 2012.

Please pass this announcement along to colleagues of yours who are may not
be on our listserv.

Regards,

Carolyn Wright

Administrator, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science

University at Buffalo, State University of New York

13th ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON CASE STUDY TEACHING IN SCIENCE

Presented by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science

State University of New York at Buffalo