ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 11:55:59 -0400

Diana;

As far as I know there are no school districts that require the
teaching of creationism or creation science or ID in science
classrooms. There is long history of litigation that has established
these subjects as establishment of religion and that so far is
forbidden by the Constitution. I emphasize so far.

That said there are attempts at inroads to science teaching by
broadening the definition of scientific evidence (Kansas  and
probably other states (see <http://www.natcensci.org> for updates)).
In addition, teachers report being uncomfortable teaching evolution
because of lack of support from local school boards, argumentative
and hectoring by parents and students. Text books are altered for
local markets. I have a copy of Miller and Levine's Biology, a
popular and well written text, that says in bold letters "New York"
across the cover. What is the Texas version like? There are also
subtle and not so subtle pressures on teaching of evolution. One that
I find most distressing is that though people say that nothing in
biology makes sense except in the light of evolution (absolutely
true) evolution is not suffused throughout curricula certainly not in
New York City. It is taught, if there is time, at the end of the year
long biology course as a topic separate from ecology, cell biology,
metabolism etc. This is also a consequence of "teaching to the test".
Evolution is not an underlying idea of the biology test children must
pass. The Advanced placement Biology program handles evolution more
thoroughly. Evolution is in separate chapters in virtually all
biology texts. The BSCS Blue Biology text written just after
Sputnick, during our science wake up, was the first text that I am
aware of that presented biology with an evolution basis. The
publication of this text some argue was a call to arms for
anti-evolutionists.

In science museums evolution is not presented for many reasons and
tends to be the topic of natural history museums. They generally do a
very good job however from a paleontological or geological point of
view and not necessary from a biological perspective. They also are
not geared to a younger audience. There are exceptions. Judy Diamond
and Judy Scotchmoor did a review of evolution exhibition for the
recent evolution issue of Museums and Social Issues

We have embarked on an NSF funded project, Life Changes, to
understand how children learn and understand evolution and to apply
this to an exhibition and other programs. There is a lot of research
that suggest that children regardless of family religious back ground
(except fundamentalist families) can be encouraged and nudged to a
more naturalistic interpretation of the natural world than their
innate creationism would allow. We are evaluating a narrative story
which is sucessful in engaging children in understanding evolution.
We are continuing research and evaluation on this narrative and I
fully expect it to be integral to our final program.

As part of the project we are also exploring ways of helping venues
for the exhibition, and others,  train their docents, volunteers and
Explainers to present evolution as science. (I wonder how the
volunteers in Kentucky handle visitors who insist that they have the
story wrong?) Many museums that have evolution exhibitions  have
organized training sessions for their docents and these will serve as
models for the training we are developing (eg Field Musuem, San Diego
Musuem of Natural History, Denver, and others). The major difference
between what they are doing and what we are developing is the age of
the audience. There are no (?) exhibitions about evolution for
specifically for children under 10-11-12 yo. If there are would you
let me know?

School decisions tend to be local, in many parts of the country, so
we need to be involved with local school boards. Kansas is an example
and Dover is another of what can happen.

There are many roots causes and many solutions to the problem of
science understanding and literacy. An interesting insight is
http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge211.html#bloom2

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D