ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jack W Cannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 12:37:57 -0500

Actually I have a stronger opinion on the use of slide rules.  I feel that
the use of slide rules should be taught in schools prior to any use of
calculators or spreadsheets.

The reason is that the use of a slide rule demands that the user understands
the mechanics of how they work and how the numbers relate to each other to
produce the result.  It forces the user to do a sanity-check on the answer.
The slide rule has the immediate effect with a new user to show a practical
application on the use of the rule to add exponents (or logarithms) to
produce a product.

Calculators and spreadsheets do nothing like that.  They simply produce the
answer and the user accepts whatever is displayed without any concern as to
whether the displayed number makes any sense.  The only thing the user needs
to know is what button or formula to use.

This is not to discourage the use of calculators and spreadsheets.  There is
no question that their use substantially allows the student to cover much
more material in the same time since the student is not spending substantial
amounts of time grinding out the answer.  This is just an argument that the
use of slide rules should not be ignored in a math curriculum.

Jack Cannon