ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 00:51:21 -0400

The NY Times website for the story Erich posted also mentions some
websites for science songs and song writers (I'm proud to claim Jef
Poskanzer in my extended family):
Where the Quarks Make Music All the Day
For more songs that use science, here are some Web sites.
* Archive of Dr. Walter F. Smith, professor of physics at Haverford College
* Science Songwriters' Association
* Archive of Dr. Greg Crowther, biophysicist at the University of Washington
  * Archive of William Stirrat's science songs for children kept by
Jef Poskanzer, a software developer
* Artichoke's site

I'm actively looking for music that would be appropriate for programs
and activities in our upcoming exhibition, Linnaeus & America. (Our
museum has an enthusiastic choral group.) A web search turned up
several interesting possibilities:
*a musical entertainment, Vivat Linnaeus! by Sarah Elliott for the NY
Linnaean Society
*a Linnaeus song, written and composed by Jan Stein Carter,
Biology,Univ. of Cincinnati - Clermont College (you can hear her sing
it at http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/Linnaeus.htm)
*a piece inspired by Linnaeus's Floral Clock (can't find ref right now)
*a wordless Canto del vagabondo : in memoria di Carolus Linnaeus,
Anders Eliasson, 1979, publihsed 2003 (orchestra, women's chorus, boy
soprano) (catalogue entry in Columbia Univ Library)

Please do let me know about others.  Thanks,
Karen

--
Karen Reeds, Ph.D.
Guest Curator, Linnaeus & America

Come to the Linnaeus Day Talk & Walk, ASHM/FDR Park, May 21, 2005
For information and reservations:  215--389-1776, [log in to unmask]
19 Woodland Dr
Princeton NJ 08540
609--279-9420
fax: 609--279-9446