ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:06:23 -0700

Hello Glen,

I didn't mean to imply that there was some problem with the group itself
or that the museum needs to to come down harder on badly behaving groups
- though in some extreme cases this just has to be done.  But it's not
all  the kids' fault  Excitement and interest is good. That's what we're
after.

I would bet - with some exceptions - that many of the problems we see
with school group visits happens when the museum is approaching its
visitor capacity - which might be significantly less than the maximum
occupancy posted on the wall by the building department. It's hard
enough to understand group dynamics but just try to figure out the
dynamics of groups of groups.  Encouraging free exploration is great
when the place is half full. But that same exploration is seen as chaos
when the number doubles, not to mention that the quality of the
exploration goes down as occupancy goes up. So, you can give all the
speeches and post all the rules you want, but if the institution ignores
the facts of their exhibit floor, they share in causing the problem.

Truly, chaperones don't always do their jobs diligently and the kids are
left completely on their own.  This isn't by itself a problem if the
kids are engaged with the exhibits.  The problems really start to grow
when the museum environment is not only crowded but largely
uninteresting to the kids. Though there should be standards of good
behavior, I can't really blame the kid too much for being bored and
looking elsewhere for their entertainment, especially if they are having
a hard time getting close to popular exhibits

So, though chaperones don't always do a good job - or do it too well, or
there are occasionally 'problem cases,' kids with too much 'energy,'
lets say, I think there are times that some of the 'blame' has to be
placed at the doorstep of the institution. I've seen it with my own eyes
and have even been a party to it.  Guilty as charged.

Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com