ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:03:16 -0800

The following four links are from four pages of the Staff Manual (dated 1983 Feb. 28) of Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science a.k.a. Buhl Science Center (1939-1991), regarding "What to do in case of..."

< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbook1983p37.JPG >

< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbook1983p38.JPG >

< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbook1983p39.JPG >

< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbook1983p40.JPG >

Regarding first aid, Buhl Planetarium staff members were given courses in first aid and CPR by Red Cross instructors. Hence, they qualified under provisions of the Good Samaritan Act.

As you will read on the first page of this section of the staff manual, beyond the basic first aid, the staff was instructed to take the injured party to the Divine Providence Hospital, which was only one block away. This hospital has changed hands a couple times since then, and I believe it now specializes in psychiatric cases and no longer has an emergency room. The next closest hospital, Allegheny General, is four blocks away.

However, in this day and age, I doubt that staff would be instructed to take an injured person anywhere. Today, they would be instructed to simply call 911 and have trained paramedics handle the situation.

Further, today it is recommended that all public buildings have at least one automated external defibrillator (AED) on hand for cardiac emergencies.

Actually, just this morning I heard on a newscast that hotels were refraining from having AEDs for fear of legal liability. So, it would be a good idea to acquire at least one AED AND have a Red Cross or American Heart Association instructor train your staff in the use of the AED. This would shield your staff and institution from legal liability, due to the Good Samaritan Act (of course, make sure North Carolina has passed such an act), provided the AED was used properly.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://incline.pghfree.net >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >