ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:36:36 -0600

The best Chemistry exhibits I've seen are those that are in a lab. We
recently built a Chemistry Lab right on our exhibit floor, called the
Ciba Lab (funded by Ciba Specialty Chemicals). It's semicircular in
nature and includes 6 lab benches. Visitors come in, don goggles, and
sit down to do as many of the experiments we've put out on the tables as
they'd like to do. We change the "exhibits" once each month along a
different theme (Environmental Chemistry, Chemical Reactions, etc.).

This approach is not unique in the science center world, of course. We
modeled our space on OMSI's Chem Lab and our experiments on their
NSF-funded curriculum. However, we have made several adjustments, the
biggest of which is the accessibility of the Ciba Lab. It is a part of
the exhibit floor, not a room off of it. We also use it as a
demonstration area, as we are a small-medium science center and needed
the space for that, as well. It's a very active space.

To me, this kind of "exhibit" is the best chemistry we can offer to our
visitors. Most of the other exhibits I've seen in chemistry are "push
button" in nature and just don't have the impact that exhibits in life
and physical sciences do. I'll be interested to see the responses to
this thread.

All of that said, we did purchase 7 off-the-shelf chemistry exhibits
from Science Alive! in New Zealand. (http://www.sciencealive.co.nz/) The
line between chemistry and physics is a fine one, and these exhibits
might just fall on the physics side of the line. But we found enough to
satisfy our Chemists, so those are the exhibits we went with. They were
very inexpensive, and pretty durable, too.

Bill

Bill Watson
Education Director
Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center
Mobile, AL
(251) 208-6851

Visit the all-new permanent exhibit MINDS ON HALL, featuring
cutting-edge technology exhibits and the Ciba Hands-on
Science Lab.

Now playing in the Gulf Coast's only IMAX Dome
Theater: SHACKLETON'S ANTARCTIC ADVENTURE
and NASCAR.