ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:12:14 -0400

We've always had PhD scientists on staff, sometimes more, sometimes fewer.  Right now, we have 3 PhD scientists, and 3-4 PhD/EdD.  Its sad to say, but PhD scientists aren't particularly expensive.  I just learned that NIH rates for post docs tops out at $42K in NY, I assume its lower elsewhere.

None of the PhD scientists are "actual working scientists" at this stage in their careers, but rather are people with a deep scientific background who have chosen to go into public education.  I think there are more of these types around that one might expect, who get PhD's and then decide that research isn't for them.

I have found that whether someone has a PhD is not a useful predictor of how productive they will be in a museum setting.  That said, those PhD's who are successful in our settings add a lot more than just dressing up a donor event.

Eric Siegel