ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Suzy Gurton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:18:07 -0400

Here is the latest information on the 124th Annual Meeting of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific
August 4 - 8, 2012 in Tucson, Arizona
featuring a 3-day symposium on "Communicating Science"

Plenary speakers include:
Michael Mann, of Pennsylvania State University, a pioneer in the study of global climate change, who will address "Science Denial in the U.S." and his experiences on the front lines of the public climate debate.
Sheila Tobias, nationally renowned author, who will discuss the state of K-12 teaching in the U.S. and the challenges of being a science teacher in our times.
Charles Petit, prize-winning science journalist and former president of the National Association of Science Writers, who will report on the state of science journalism in the era of Twitter.
Philip Christiansen, Professor at Arizona State University, an investigator for several Mars missions, and a leading expert on Mars, who will report the latest news about the red planet just as the Curiosity Rover is landing.
A Panel on Diversity and Evaluation and how to address cultural differences in designing programs with impact.
A Panel on Doomsday 2012 (and Cosmophobia -- the fear of astronomical events -- in general): how to address bogus science and assure the frightened public, featuring David Morrison of NASA's "Ask an Astrobiologist" website.
The Conference Program particularly invites papers and sessions on the following topical threads:
Communicating Science in the 21st Century: Media and Technology – identifying trends, challenges & opportunities in science media/journalism, balancing traditional & non-traditional approaches, navigating the mobile information universe.
Communicating Science Across Cultures – reaching and serving diverse audiences effectively, building awareness, handling cultural differences, crafting respectful partnerships.
Communicating Science to Address Misconceptions & Conceptual Change – uncovering earth and space science misconceptions, building correct conceptual models, developing greater student and public understanding of scientific methods and concepts.
How Do We Know We Are Making a Difference? – modeling effective evaluation & research in science education, outreach, and communication; working with evaluators, constructing objectives, measuring impact.
Improving Our Practice – sharing best practices and experiences in science education, outreach, and communication, forging collaborations, connecting our efforts.
Abstracts are welcome for:
        Poster papers
        10-minute oral presentations
        One-hour hands-on workshops
        One-hour special-interest group discussions

There will also be a national workshop on hands-on astronomy for teachers and those who work with them on Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 4 & 5.

Please visit the ASP Conference web site at http://www.astrosociety.org/2012meeting to register (early bird rate ends May 31), to submit your abstract (submission deadline is April 30) and to read the latest program updates for this exciting conference -- perhaps the last one you’ll ever get to attend (before we turn the page to a new Mayan calendar cycle, that is).

Much more is in the works, including a special Opening Reception, a Curiosity Landing Pajama Party, and our popular concluding Happy Hour with prize drawings!

All sessions will be at the DoubleTree Hotel with exceptionally good room rates (space is limited, so please reserve soon).
Instructions available at http://www.astrosociety.org/2012meeting

The deadline for submitting an abstract is April 30.

See you in Tucson!