ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:35:36 -0400

Dear List Members,

Register today and take advantage of the early bird special rate through
September 1st for our case study teaching conference. It is quite an
exceptional event this year. Along with our usual sessions for new comers
and veteran case teachers, we have three exciting speakers who will give
plenary addresses:

Margaret Waterman, Professor of Biology, Southeast Missouri State University
who directed the Office of Faculty Development at the University of
Pittsburgh and was a medical educator at Harvard. She is the creator of
medical PBL called Investigative Case Based Learning (ICBL), and is a
coauthor of Biological Inquiry: A Workbook of Investigative Cases (Benjamin
Cummings, 2nd ed. 2008, which includes cases, exercises, and open-ended
investigations for introductory college biology

Felicia Keesing, Associate Professor of Biology, Bard College, has received
more than $6 million in grant support from the National Geographic Society,
the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, and the
Environmental Protection Agency. In 2000, she received a United States
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) from
President Clinton. In 2009, she served on the steering committee of the
Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education conference sponsored by
NSF, HHMI, and AAAS.

Barbara Leigh Smith, Senior Scholar, The Evergreen State College, is
co-director of the Enduring Legacies Native Cases Initiative and
Reservation-Based Project funded by the National Science Foundation to serve
American Indian students in tribal communities. Smith founded and directed
the Washington Center for Improving the Quality of Undergraduate Education,
a state-supported consortium of 48 of Washington's colleges and
universities. She has numerous publications on learning communities and
reform and experimentation in higher education, including Against the
Current: Reform and Experimentation in Higher Education (with Richard
Jones); Re-Inventing Ourselves (with John McCann), and Learning Communities:
Reforming Undergraduate Education (with Jean MacGregor, Roberta Matthews and
Faith Gabelnick).

Another special attraction this year for HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS

- Our "mini" track is made up of three sessions on Saturday specifically
designed for high school science teachers (though others, we think, will
find it of interest too!).  Our break-out session leaders are Bonnie Wood,
Professor of Biology, University of Maine at Presque Isle, Donna Horn,
Director of Science and Health, Rush-Henrietta Central School, Kathy Hoppe,
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES K-12 Science Support, Director at Large for Biology
Science Teachers Association of New York State, Biology-Chemistry
Professional Development Network.

Our conference will be led by Dr. Clyde (Kipp) Herreid, SUNY Distinguished
Teaching Professor and Director of the National Center for Case Study
Teaching in Science. The conference is open to anyone interested in science
education including high school teachers and international teachers.  See
below for a full listing of the conference sessions and other information.

Our conference also includes a poster session and we would be pleased if you
submitted a proposal.

Register now for this exciting 2-day Case Study Teaching in Science
Conference, which takes place on September 24th and 25th, 2010. Early-Bird
two-day registration until September 1, 2010 - $500.00. One-day
Saturday-only registration is $350.

Please pass this announcement along to colleagues of yours who are not on
our listserv.

My regards,
Carolyn Wright
Administrator, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
University at Buffalo, State University of New York

11th Annual Conference on Case Study Teaching in Science
Presented by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
State University of New York at Buffalo
l>
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/conference/conference.html