ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
chuck howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:50:42 -0800

Hey, Dave, the momentum explanation works great for aircraft, BUT....

There is a classic classroom demonstration in which the demonstrator
connects a short length of plastic tubing to the stem of a funnel,
drops a ping pong into the open end, and then asks the biggest kid in
the class to blow through the tube to launch the ping pong ball.  The
kid blows, but nothing happens - the ball stays put.  The demonstrator
then turns the funnel upside down and has the kid try again - same
thing.  As long as the kid continues to blow, the ping pong ball hangs
unexpectedly in the funnel, defying gravity.  As soon as the kid stops
blowing, it drops out.

I am no physicist, but I am having a real hard time explaining this
effect in terms of momentum.  The force of gravity is downward, the air
flow is downward, yet the ball doesn't fall.  The conventional
Bernoulli explanation would be that air coming through the funnel is
accelerated around the ball, resulting in faster moving air above and
slower moving below, and since slower moving air exerts higher pressure
the ball is pushed up.

As Natasha  says, Bernoulli doesn't make planes fly, flying planes make
Bernoulli.  So what exactly is it that keeps that ball in the funnel?

Chuck