ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Liz Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:50:07 -0400

Great links to the "retro" Van de Graaff demonstration!  Does anyone know what device they place on top of the dome at the end of the show-- spreading the charge onto the audience?

We just developed a handful of "pocket science" demos for our new Electricity Exhibit--  little hand-held demos that can be done by Explainers in the exhibit.  Here are some of them:

"energy ball" to demonstrate how a circuit works (have visitors form a circle, hold hands and then the two "ends" of the circle touch the metal strips on the energy ball, it lights up and plays a tune)
Magnetic field demonstrator (contains metal filings, place a bar magnet on top to see magnetic field patterns-- leading into a discussion of the relationship between magnets and electricity)
Copper tube and neodymium magnet (http://www.teachersource.com/electricityandmagnetism/eddycurrentsandmagneticfields/eddycurrenttubessuperlarge.aspx )
Good luck!

Liz Kelley
Public Programs Manager