ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:36:16 -0500

You'll probably get multiple answers, but having researched this question
about 6 years ago...

Some institutes use sand (Science North for example).  We use both sand and
pea-gravel so that patterns can form by the less mobile pea gravel.  Those
that use sand must either have some off-time when the sand is dried - such
as an off season - or occasionally decontaminate it (we do a bleach or
chlorine rinse of it).  One down-side is that you ahve to ensure there are
no acrylic surfaces near or they will get scratched up.
Some institutes switched off of using sand due to a mold that developed in
the sand when it wasn't decontaminated.  Franklin Institute switched to
ground walnut shells if I remember correctly,  The problem that developed
with them is a small insect started growing in that.
Now, if my memory holds, Franklin Institute switched from that to another
product...(or perhaps they've gone through 2 or more other products since
then).
St. Louis Science Center uses ground plastic chips (plastic pellets).  The
ground plastic medium is quite excellent in retarding growth of biological
entities (and I think Franklin Institute may have started using that as
well at some point).  The down-side is that I have heard complaints that it
tracks farther into the museum.  (St. Louis Science Center's stream table
isn't always hands on - it is a manned table that is sometimes open and
sometimes closed - last I saw).

So in conclusion...get ready to deal with *some* type of problem...but you
can choose which type of problem you want to deal with.

Another key aspect of your stream table is to determine why you have
it...what is it supposed to encourage?  To teach?

-William

William Katzman                    "The important thing is to never stop
questioning." -A. Einstein
Director of Exhibits               "Are you sure about that Al?" -His wife.
Catawba Science Center
ph: (828) 322-8169 x307
fax:(828) 322-1585