ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn Sutterfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 20:35:30 -0400

From the Professional Development pages of the ASTC web site,
www.astc.org, here is more information about the Liberty Science
Center RAP:

June 16–17, 2005
Personal Mobile Devices and Science Centers
Liberty Science Center, Jersey City, New Jersey

Liberty Science Center is offering this 2-day workshop for those who
are exploring the use of personal portable devices (MP3 players, cell
phones, PDAs, RFIDs) as learning tools. Liberty is researching ways
for guests to use their own devices to enrich their learning
experience. Your participation will assist this research project in
progress, as well as provide you with an opportunity to explore your
particular interests in applications for this technology. If your
science center is already doing this kind of work, you are encouraged
to share strategies and ideas.

Contact: Wayne LaBar, Vice President of Exhibition and Theaters
201/451-0006 x347 or Julie Berger x546; e-mail [log in to unmask]

For those unfamiliar with ASTC RAPs, the Roundtables for Advancing
the Professions provide a forum for museum professionals to network,
learn together, and expand their knowledge base. Hosted by
ASTC-member institutions worldwide, these small-group weekend
intensives have covered a wide range of topics—from camp-ins and
youth programs to information-technology trends and outdoor science
parks. Standard participation fees, which help to defray host museum
costs, are $50 for employees of ASTC-member institutions and $100 for
nonmembers.

Carolyn Sutterfield
Editor, Association of Science-Technology Centers