ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christine Reich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:17:20 -0500

Ann,

 There are a number of resources that provide information (and specifics
on measurements) for the design of children's play spaces that are
inclusive of children with disabilities. Below is a list of some of
these resources.

With regards to your question about the percentage of exhibitions that
are accessible, I don't think there is a good number that I can provide
you with to guide your decision. I would say try to make as many
exhibits as accessible as you can. However, I do think that is important
to consider not just the physical access provided, but also whether
you've designed a space that is socially inclusive and provides children
with disabilities with equitable access to learning. In other words,
does a child who uses a wheelchair (or has a cognitive, developmental,
or sensory disability) have the same opportunity to learn the main
messages or practice scientific inquiry in the exhibition, or has the
design prohibited the child from learning the central goals and/or
messages of the exhibition? Does the child have the opportunity to
interact with other children and family members while using the
exhibition?  When the child gets on the school bus, will he or she be
able to share stories with the other children, or will the child feel
left out of the conversation because all of the "cool" stuff was
inaccessible? I think considering these questions will help to better
guide your decisions about the accessibility of the exhibition than any
numerical value could.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me off
the list.

-Christine

        Suggested resources for further reading

Abend, A. C. (2001). /Planning and designing for students with
disabilities/. Washington D. C.: National Clearinghouse for Educational
Facilities. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility
Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities; Play Areas, (2000).

Burkhour, C. (2003). /Playgrounds for ALL kids!/ Retrieved 8/4, 2004,
from http://www.ncaonline.org/ncpad/play4all.shtml

Goldberg, C. (2000, August 17). For these trailblazers, wheelchairs
matter/. New York Times,/ p. A1.

Gould, P., & Sullivan, J. (1999). /The inclusive early childhood
classroom/. Beltsville, MD: Gryphon House.

Machalaba, D. (2003). A dream takes root: Treehouses for kids with
disabilities/. The Wall Street Journal/.

Moore, R., Goltsman, S., & Iacofano, E. (Eds.). (1992). /Play for all
guidelines: Planning, design and management of outdoor play settings for
all children/. Berkeley, CA: MIG Communications.

National Center on Accessibility. (2003). /Access to play areas/.
Retrieved 8/4, 2004, from
http://www.ncaonline.org/playgrounds/play-areas.shtml

Zionts, P. (Ed.). (1997). /Inclusion strategies for students with
learning and behavior problems: Perspectives, experiences, and best
practices/. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed.

--
Christine Reich
Manager of Informal Education Research and Evaluation