ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:44:02 +1100

what you are after is called a "Schlieren optical system
google that term to find a bit more about it
(edmond sci used to distribute 4 and 6 inch versions, they may still).

check out
http://www.mne.psu.edu/psgdl/facilities_Optical.htm
at the Pen State to see what is possible, and these guys may also be happy to offer some help/advice.

A Schlieren system visualises density differences in the air. So you may find that you need to run your organ pipe on cool, or warm air to maximise the visual impact.
they can take a bit of fiddling to get alinged, and can take up a bit of space ( as they need long optical paths for maximum sensitivity) but they are quiet reliable once set up, and bolted down.

good luck.
Stuart Kohlhagen
leader new concepts
Questacon- The national science and technology centre
Canberra