ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:48:43 -0600

We recently built an exhibit where visitors build various circuits with
parts we provide such as switches, lamps, motors, etc.  Because we want
kids to go home thinking they can do the same at home we decided to use
batteries.  BUT since it would be a budget buster to constantly provide
new batteries we have rigged up a sort of fuax battery system.  We have
three sets of batteries displayed under an acrylic cover: x2AAs, x4AAs &
x2Dcells.  There are banana style sockets associated with each.  But in
reality the batteries are isolated and the power is being fed from three
dedicated lab supplies.  Each is tuned to represent the appropriate
voltage and current for the batteries.  The power supplies are actually
visible thru a window in the base of the cabinet.  The idea being that
our visitors can select a battery set and see what it can do.  The only
thing they don't get is how long a set of batteries would last for a
given device.  We also have a dedicated 6VDC power supply with leads
that can be used for general tinkering. The power supplies were not
cheap ($150+) but they have protected circuits that will deal with
shorts and they are variable so we can adjust them and use them in
different ways as needed.

Now we are still tinkering ourselves with the exhibit to determine what
works ad what doesn't I would be interested in hearing other thoughts
and solutions.

One item I learned about was that a photo-voltaic cell can be fried when
connected to a power source. It actually melted the plastic.  I need to
rig it up with a fuse I guess.

Erich Rose
Exhibit Manager
Austin Children's Museum