ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:22:20 -0700

I live in Arizona and the city of Tempe has a large lake.   So I contacted
Basil Boyd at the Tempe City offices and following is his response. - Bill
Schmitt

Bill,

The evaporation numbers that we use to work out the Tempe Town Lake water
balance are generated by a weather station on the ASU campus, which is
adjacent the lake.  The total evaporation loss for calendar year 2002 was
1,697.8 acre-feet.  The surface area of the lake is 222 acres.  This means
the evaporation loss was 7.65 feet of water.  This is in line with pan
evaporation rates I have seen for other areas in the southwestern deserts.
For comparison you might take a look at the attached web site.  It gives pan
evaporation rates for several Western states including many Arizona sites.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westevap.final.html

Basil Boyd

Water Resources Hydrologist

City of Tempe