ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:41:59 -0700

I think this study reflects a fairly typical experience.  I think Dawkins makes fair criticism in some regards.

A few years back, I did an ad hoc study on about 40 AP Physics High School kids.  The classes were going to come to the Exploratorium on an all field trip. 89% of the students had had prior visits to the Exploratorium, almost none within a year prior to the pending visit.  The kids were totally enthused.  All that had had prior visits to the Explo could remember specific exhibits and describe them in good detail, naming aspects of the exhibit, etc.  Describing the underlying physical concepts was a much, much tougher proposition, however, and they were physics students.

Now the physics teachers typically, assign a collection of exhibits for students to study, and most of the students complain about how the field trip assignment detracts from the fun of the exhibit experience.

The students in the study had primarily made visits with their families. The school itself is about 2 hrs away from the Exploratorium, so most of the student population makes visits outside of the school system.

Overall, I was favorably impressed with the affective experience on students for infrequent visits. They remembered many literal aspects of their visit,  but they had some trouble verbalizing the science concept experience. Most of them seemed to cover the main floor of the museum.

Correlations between frequencies of visits to a science museum and school performance doesn't seem to have lots of supporting data. But I'm no expert on the range of studies.

I've always thought it might be fun to see the academic outcomes of children of museum staff members.

More anecdotally, scientists and the scientifically inclined adults love and revel in the Exploratorium and science centers more generally.  They get it and love it. Science centers are a way of sharing between scientists and people of all sorts, and scientific literacy is a vitally important aspect of our culture and survival.

We do the best we can with the tools at hand.

Sent from Charlie Carlson's iPad
Cell 510-499-8086
Try me on Skype (510) 984-3543