ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joan Harless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 07:48:09 -0500

As many of you know, 37 years ago a couple of wild and crazy people at COSI (Bill Schmitt, stand up and take a bow) and the local Girl Scout Council thought they could get a few hundred girl scouts to come to the museum for an overnight program themed around science. Over 2000 showed up the first night, and the rest, as they say, is history. Camp-Ins are now offered in museums, zoos, and conservatories around the world.

As COSI gets ready to welcome its millionth camper sometime in April, we're wondering how many children around the world have been turned on to science through overnight programs modeled after that long-ago idea. If your museum offers overnight programs and you have records, or even close estimates, of how many campers you have seen over the years, please let us know. Also, if you could let us know how many years you have offered such programs, that would be great, too. When we get the information compiled, we'll let you know the results. We think it will be impressive! Thanks!

Joan Harless
Program Manager
614-228-2674 ext. 2354

Connect with COSI
www.cosi.org/share

Groupwise powered by Time Warner Cable Business Class