ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Suzanne Mallery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:05:23 -0800

Are you making a bubble screen or a soap film?  I'm not sure what the tub
would be for on a bubble screen.  Aren't they generally entirely enclosed?

If you are making soap films, the Exploratorium has plans for a small one on
their website as a "snack" (not remotely "museum-level-sturdy") that you
could modify.  I think there is a plan for a larger museum-scale version in
one of their three "Cookbooks".

I made one for a birthday party (again not sturdy enough for constant use)
using the plans here:
http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/academics/math/Connections/curves/soapfilm.htm
The biggest problem with mine is that it needs to be anchored or it will
tip, because the pulley pulls the entire frame toward the visitor.  The way
it's set up in the photo on this website would last about three minutes with
younger kids.  Also the tub needs to be enclosed on the sides with an
anchored box or something like it, so the tub won't tip independently.  The
model here would hold up better if the supports were metal pipe rather than
PVC.  If you are doing a soap film, I know these plans aren't exactly what
you need, but it might give you a place to start.  The PVC version was
REALLY cheap, and I have used it for school events too, and it's been a big
hit.

If you're really making a bubble screen, sorry for leading you off base.
Could you explain how you use the tub, though?

Suzanne Mallery
Assistant Professor
Psychology
La Sierra University