ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:26:05 -0500

Hi Michelle,

A few random thoughts.

1 - With the advent of high-stakes testing:
 - teachers teach to the test - creativity and holistic thinking has gone out the window.
 - if nothing else, we can help rekindle the fire that got teachers into the profession.

2 - Content:
 - PD offers the opportunity to learn science and other subjects in an emotionally safe environment (no different from our general audiences).
 - Museum-based PD offers the opportunity to demonstrate inquiry-based learning.

3 - Having been through museum-based PD, teachers have a better sense of how we can be learning partners (I would bet they feel that way even more than if they just took a field trip).

Beryl