ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Charles Stout)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:27:33 -0400

Jeff:

You've reminded me of a couple of things that explain my weariness of this topic over the past couple of weeks.

The exhibits on any topic including evolution that have been the most valuable to me as a visitor or rewarding as a contributor focused a great deal of attention on HOW scientists know what they/we think they/we know -- i.e., the process -- and left the door open for revision and abandonment of any number of facets of the theory. They are not the ones, no matter how interactive, that told the facts as currently known to scientists.

Early in my grad school days, I was introduced to one of the international star professors in my department. Though I never liked the man for anything else, this rough rough paraphrase has stuck with me for the past 20 plus years: "My new article is the definitive statement on [deleted location] pottery. It's God's truth. Even my bitterest enemy at the Smithsonian has grudgingly admitted this. And, if you don't prove me wrong in the next ten years, we won't have done our job." His job was part of the process of marshalling new scientists into the field to probe, test, create and destroy.

If a statement is needed, I would like to see one that focuses on the PROCESS of ALL science rather than the results of one facet, however important that facet may be.

Best regards,

Charlie

Charles Stout
Media Arts Manager