ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:59:47 -0700

Martin et al,

The preponderance of scientific evidence suggests both a biological basis to behavior that literally plugs us into a dependent social situation, without it we're dead.  As long as the social situation satisfies our complex biological needs we're good and we will seek with all our resources to maintain that social situation and condition.

Broadly and then more specifically, let me start by citing: Zimbardo's  stanford prison experiments (http://www.prisonexp.org/), Milgram's experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment).  Though both experiments focus on human plasticity in a social context, both build upon group allegiance and social conformity.  Wrangham's book "Catching Fire," aptly builds a case with lots of references for absolute biologically based social dependency (though his major tenet about fire highly debated and speculative).  The recently presented experimental results demonstrating the relationship between primate and human health as a function of social ranking (a PNAS article as presented in the Economisthttp://www.economist.com/node/21552539) and finally E.O. Wilson's latest turn, the Social Conquest of the Earth.

In vast majority of biologically focused psychological studies, it's clear that we potentiated and primed towards specific behavioral tendencies––from our earliest logical assumptions, Alison Gopnick's work and that of others speak, to language acquisition and structure, think Chomsky and Pinker.  Robert Triver's work establishes kinship relationships.  Then the profundity of the Minnesota twin studies, highlights the absoluteness of biology underpinning behavioral choices and similarities.  Epigenetics is strongly building the connection between environment and gene regulation.

There are also the public health studies that support the social specificity of health interventions.  The more precisely defined the target social group the better the educational impact.  Here I would turn to public health literature with respect to AIDS Education and Prevention.

It's also clear to me that something as crucial and profound as human development and learning was not left to free will and choice.  It's far too important to be biological afterthought.

On Apr 15, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> Charley
>
> It is not clear to me that there is clear evidence that relates some of the
> behaviors we are discussing here to innate and powerful tendencies and
> behaviors built into us as you seem to be suggesting. Could you present
> some references and or evidence ?
>
> Martin

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own and should in no way be construed or attributed to the Exploratorium or related organization, and do not represent an institutional position.
Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.