ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ed Sobey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:27:55 +0000

This is a fairly common practice (accuring membership income) and accountants generally favor it.  However, for small museums where memberships often come in as the result of an annual drive or annual re-newal it makes sense to keep membership on a cash basis.  You more fairly represent the true nature of your business by showing the seasonal nature of membership income and expenses.  Your accountant may disagree, but I think the cash basis is preferable - for at least smaller museums.

                   Ed Sobey