ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jane Snell Copes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:54:39 -0600

I know this is over-simplified, but often that's what we need to get
a point across.  To get electric power, you have to turn a generator
(wires and a magnet).  To turn the generator, it is connected to a
turbine (fins on an axle).  To turn the turbine, blow a fluid at the
fins (water wheel, wind generator, or steam).  To get steam, you have
to boil water (burn coal or oil or gas or diesel fuel OR use the heat
from radioactive decay).  The heat from radioactive decay is the big
deal to power generators.  The radioactive waste is another big deal.

Every "Geiger ping" represents an atom disintegrating (or is
proportional to many disintegrations).  I used a surplus clicking
Geiger counter in a chemistry exhibit with a alpha sources such as
orange-glazed (uranium-containing) pottery, potassium chloride "light
salt," a smoke detector (Americium), a radium dial clock, and an old
Coleman lantern mantle (thorium source).  The exhibit had shielding
materials such as plastic, aluminum, wood, and lead sheets.

Marie and Pierre Curie used radiometers (electroscopes) to detect
radioactivity until Hans Geiger invented the counter in 1928.  They
might have been able to monitor their own exposure to radioisotopes
if they had had a quantitative meter sooner.

Hope that is not more than you wanted to know!  Jane

--
Jane Snell Copes
Science Outside the Box

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true."   Michael Faraday