ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:56:53 -0500

Thanks, Chuck.

I confess I have not spoken with any interior designers with LEED
certification experience; I'd welcome that conversation.
My research, personally, concerned seeking certification for a
particular exhibit project.  All three of the architects I consulted
advised more pragmatic avenues for building "certifiably" greener
exhibits.

There's a lot of chatter about LEED, but there are a lot of tools to
use out there!

Ultimately, sustainable design is about principles, such as energy
efficiency, and positive social impact; commitment to these
principles; and staying always open and always learning.  It's being
interested in where things come from and where things go when they
leave our hands.  It's being reverent of fuel and electricity!  It's
not about checklists and whether or not an exhibit is officially
certifiable, but the attitude and the considerations that bring the
exhibit into existence.  I am convinced sustainable design is a
morality issue more than a policy issue and therefore shifts shape
depending on the tape measure you use.

Are LEED-mandated exhibits in our future?  Maybe.  Would
certification be good?  It's the sort of thing that helps clients
make choices, and gives designers one more thing to be neurotic
about, but the motivation for sustainability has to come from
someplace deeper.

On that note,
Happy Earth Hour, everyone!
www.earthhour.org