ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:55:49 -0500

Good Afternoon Eric,
While not directly related to your inquiry, your question jogged my memory.
Many years ago, I heard of a study done by the Disney folks; asking young kids what was the best part of their family vacation to Disney World in Florida. The response for the vast majority of young kids (I believe it was in the 5 to 7 y.o. range) was, "The hotel/motel swimming pool."  Could this have been the kernel of the idea that grew into the development of the newer Disney World attractions (e.g. its two water parks)? Hummmmm......Ain't it funny that sometimes the answer you didn't expect (or, at first glance, scoffed at) can lead you into the realm beyond your dreams?.......
Best Wishes,
Wesley

Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111-3399
www.memphismuseums.org
(901) 320-6370 Direct
(901) 320-6391 FAX

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/15/04 05:00PM >>>

Hello All:

Has anyone surveyed young visitors (like ages 5-12) about general
experiential aspects of their museum visit?  What they liked best, if
they liked the food, anything that made them particularly happy or
unhappy, comfortable or uncomfortable?

On a related note, is there any research about the decision making in
families related to museum going?  Who are the principal decision
makers?  What is the impact of kids in family decision making?  If it
appears that kids are influential  (as they are, anecdotally, in my
family), then what does that imply for the marketing program?

Finally, is anyone using those kind of automated visitor response kiosks
to get feedback about the quality of the visitor experience?

See you in San Jose!

Eric Siegel
Director of Planning
   & Program Development