ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:07:01 -0400

i agree that we should not waste time, but it is a mistake to do
nothing about the issue of evolution.  To let the evolution issue slide
by without response is to give the example that people can pick and
choose whatever science they want to believe.

Science is not a belief system.   Science is reliable knowledge about
our world.  It is a rigorous, "any idea must stand up to the knowledge
known" system, the knowledge as best, most fully known.  That is the
only way you get reliable knowledge.  To ignore some known facts to
come up with justification for anything is not acceptable in science.
All the facts known must fit.   Ignore facts, and you are no longer
dealing with science.

Science Centers are a big public face of science.   We represent
science and there are responsibilities inherent in that role that we
must face.  We have to be true to science, to define it in a way to our
visitors that we don't damage science.

We can and should craft a statement on evolution is science based on
"science is reliable knowledge about our world".   To do so strengthens
not only science, but science centers reputation.

Eric, count me in for helping to make such a statement.  If we do the
job right,  we will strengthen all that we do,  the striving for and
passing onto our present and future society reliable knowledge about
our world.

Natasha, it is running a museum.  It's defining what we do.  Doing
nothing defines us maybe even more than doing something.   We need
science centers to be serious.

Steve Uzzo, really good job on your piece.

Thank you, all.

Sincerely,
Clifford Wagner