ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diana Issidorides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 08:40:37 +0200

Hi Wendy,

At NEMO, we have two excellent (and popular) polygraph exhibits based
on GSR measurement, both developed by the Experimentarium in Denmark.

1. In "Measure your Emotions", visitors place their index and middle
finger on a metal holder that registers GSR while they look at
different pictures on a computer screen. They are then shown how
their GSR reacted to each picture and which picture produced the
highest GSR response.

2. In Read my Mind (for two visitors), an 'interrogator' questions a
'suspect' whose fingers are similarly placed on a metal holder
measuring GSR. 'Suspect'  is asked to write down (a) 9 numbers and
think of one of them, or (b) 5 birthdays (one of which is his/hers,
or (c) 5 names of people (one of which s/he's in love with), and to
concentrate his/her thinking on that.  The interrogator then reads
aloud the items, while concentrating on the needle of the device
which registers GSR. It is quite easy to see what suspect is thinking
of, cause the needle gives a higher reading when interrogator reads
aloud the item that the suspect has in mind!

Both these exhibits are robust and work well. I suggest you contact
Nils Hornstrup at the Experimentarium if you want more information.

Good luck,

Diana

– –
Dr. Diana C. Issidorides