ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2013 07:57:04 -0700

Paul, I share similar observations and sentiments, but it doesn't so much have to do with measuring per say.  What's happening in the US and in most of Europe and elsewhere is rote curriculum standardization and diminution of teaching as a profession.  Finland's stellar rise from the low ranks to a place of leadership provides an enlightening example.  They don't teach to the test. Teachers have responsibility and authority, and students follow a more varied curriculum beyond elementary school.  It's a striking contrast to the craziness that has gripped us.  And Finnish students are at or near the top of the ranks when tested.

We seem to have adopted a draconian and rigid approach to curriculum and learning in the vain attempt to force learning, and created a  bureaucratic monster, which is now undergoing reform from the outside.

Sent from Charlie Carlson's iPad
Cell 510-499-8086
Try me on Skype (510) 984-3543