ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diane Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:48:45 -0800

Dear Linda and Chris,

In addition to finance, I would advise a section on development. Very few
museums in this day and age can rely on just earned income and endowment
for survival, and those two revenue sources generally don't allow for any
significant growth. While you're not trying to create a development
professional with this program, I think it's paramount that all members of
a museum understand the role of development and its various donor groups so
they can be vigilant for opportunities to recognize donors in their own
areas of work. It's SO helpful to have a staff person who can alert
development colleagues when a particular exhibit or program that's being
planned might have donor or sponsor recognition potential.

In addition to my comment above, I'd be happy to review a section for you.
I've been in the "business" for about 20 years, and have moved from public
programs to development (with short detours through finance and exhibits
along the way) so have a rather broad perspective. I've also lectured and
advised independent study students at the college level, so I have some
understanding of your target audience and teaching constraints.

Diane

At 12:01 AM 1/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All!
>We are assessing what an ideal graduate program looks like in museum
>studies. This is going to be a rather unique program and we need your help!
>
>Bsically, we are helping to design a curriculum that will produce the
>ideal new employee at your museum or design firm. There is more
>informaiton in an attachment we would like to send you, however, we need
>to send it to an individual (not through the list serve).
>
>Please, please let us know if you would be willing to fill out the
>appropriate pages of the survey based on your position.
>The survey is divided into seven sections:
>
>1.      General Competencies
>2.      History/Philosophy/Community
>3.      Management including Marketing, Human Resources
>4.      Collections and Conservation Management
>5.      Exhibits
>6.      Public Programming
>7.      Facilities/Buildings
>
>Let us know what your area is so we can email the appropriate sections to
>you.
>To those of you willing to help us, thanks so much!
>
>Linda Segebrecht and Chris Becicka
>913.384.1020

Diane A. Baxter, Ph.D.
Director of Development
Quail Botanical Gardens
P.O. Box 230005
Encinitas, CA  92023-0005
(760) 436-3036 ext. 216
www.qbgardens.org

"Sowing seeds of wonder for today and tomorrow"