ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:50:28 -0700

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/january/test-scores-ranking-011513.html

Here's interesting critique and revision of the 2009 PISA results that ranked US student educational performance 14th and 25th respectively in reading and math achievement.  If one accounts for social class distribution of those taking the tests, we significantly move up to 6th and 13th, and if one further dissects the results by comparing those in poor and disadvantaged classes in the US to similar classes in the top performing countries we exceed them.  Interestingly, the most advantaged students in the US tend to vastly underperform similar students in the top scoring countries.  I guess this could be called resting on your "class laurels."

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist | Teacher Institute

http://blogs.exploratorium.edu/whyintercept/
Twitter: @charliec53
email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:   415-528-4319
Fax:  415-885-6011
exploratorium.edu
facebook.com/exploratorium twitter.com/exploratorium
The Embarcadero, Piers15 & 17
S.F., CA 94111