ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Glen Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 06:13:30 +1000

Joe

Our strategy is to post 'conditions of entry', provide pre-visit written info to teachers, talk to students and teachers about the 'rules' upon arrival and provide 1 (active, involved) guide per 15 children. And yet the behaviour described still happens occasionally.

The very nature of the hands-on environment in science centers generates excitement, encourages self paced discovery and interaction between visitors. I have seen student interest destroyed by teachers and guides being too obsessed with discipline. The vastly different behaviour of school groups is a clear indication that the behaviour in the science center is largely due to factors outside their control.

Glen
gkm at SCP