ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patricia Verheyden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:44:53 +0000

In our science centre, the visitors currently use a bracelet with a unique barcode, as a personal identification while performing a series of exhibits in a thematic exhibition. The bracelets are provided at the entrance and not returned after the visit.
As technology evolves, we would like to switch to RFID technology for future exhibitions that use personal identification.

We bear some conditions in mind that are important for the variety of our visitors:
-          The RFID tag should be embedded in a wearable medium, so it cannot be lost. Bracelets satisfy this condition.
-          The medium with the tag should be disposable and cost no more than 0.25 euro. It is an additional cost for us that cannot be returned or forwarded to the visitor.
-          The mode of operation should be clear to each visitor, without personal instructions or learning curve.

Development of exhibits that use the personal identification method, should apply to the following conditions:
-          The technology that is used should be freely available by different distributors, for both hardware and consumables.
-          The hardware should be ready to be built in an exhibit, without additional research.
-          The RFID readers should be available to the visitors at a reasonable position and at a reasonable size.

We have tested different RFID technologies in bracelets, with commercially available RFID readers. Whereas readability is good in a common use desktop reader in combination with RFID tags embedded in a bank card format, the results with bracelets in practical conditions are not suitable for visitors.

Practical conditions impose these restrictions:

-          Visitors are unaware of the correct way to present the tag in the bracelet to the reader
-          The bracelets are bent around the visitor's wrist, which makes it more difficult to read
-          Visitors are impatient and very active

 While the world is moving towards "Near Field Communication", we experience an unacceptable barrier with this technology.
What technology is usable in the conditions that our science centre imposes? What can be done to improve the handling by the visitors, to make the technology usable at an acceptable cost?
Any feedback our suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Patricia

Patricia Verheyden
Experience director
Technopolis, het Vlaamse doe-centrum voor wetenschap en technologie
Technologielaan, 2800 Mechelen, België
tel. +32 15 34 20 20; fax +32 15 34 20 10
mailto:[log in to unmask]        http://www.technopolis.be