ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Wallace Hostetler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:18:30 -0800

I had this discussion recently with a police officer in our community. His
point was that to do a truly useful and comprehensive background check is
fairly expense per person. That brings to question whether the free
background checks we do with our local police department are useful. This
service, at least in our area, really only checks issues that would have
arisen in this particular town and may not reveal issues outside of the
area, state or country.

We continue to use this service as it is free and gives us at list some
ability to identify concerns. I do question the value of it, but my feeling
is that it shows an intent, on our part, to provide some screening for
volunteers that will be working with children and the public.

Basically, it is important to know what information is revealed by the
background check, how extensive and how large a geographic area is covered.
And you certainly need to know how you plan on using the information, what
criteria you set for declining a prospective volunteer.

Chris Wallace Hostetler
Executive Director
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
1500 East Main
Ashland, Oregon 97520
541-482-6767 ext. 31

"Nature and art are too sublime to aim at purpose, nor need they, for
relationships are everywhere present, and relationships are life." - Goethe