ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Suzanne Mallery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:56:05 -0800

I'm not sure this is exactly what you are thinking of, but there are many
museums that have a 'dinosaur bone digging site.'  The focus isn't
open-ended sand play, but that often ends up being what the younger kids do.
The Pasadena Kidspace Museum and the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana
CA both have combination water and sand play spaces.  The Santa Ana one is a
system of sluices with sand, and the Pasadena one demonstrates erosion.

One of the sand-play sites that I like the most, though, is at the
Huntington Gardens in San Marino, CA.  They have a sand chime set up.  It's
a small structure with concrete pillars about 3 feet high.  The pillars are
set very close together, and a series of metal tubes (like the ones in metal
wind chimes) are suspended between them.  There are sand and small pebbles
all around it, and kids dribble the pebbles through the top of the opening
between the pillars.  The sand and small pebbles bounce off the metal tubes
to make musical sounds.  There's a picture of it on their webpage
(http://www.huntington.org/Information/ChildrensGarden.htm) The caption says
"pebble chime"

Suzanne Mallery
Assistant Professor