ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:32:16 -0400

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we condemn people who don't
believe that natural selection and related theories explain biological
change over time, or to establish a moral hierarchy among believers in
various world views.  I think it is both fair and maybe necessary to
point out the power of the scientific explanation and its differences
from religious explanations.

On a related topic, a colleague of mine, a biologist, surveyed teachers
and students to see the extent to which they distinguish between
"evolution" which he calls a phenomenon, and "natural selection" which
he calls a theory.  I think that is the terminology he uses, and it is
an interesting distinction for me.  I think it is going to be published
in a peer reviewed journal soon, so I'm not sure if I can share the
paper, but I will ask him if anyone is interested.

I think the question of environmentalism is kind of a done deal, every
informal or formal educational institution seems to accept that human
caused environmental degradation is both a fact and something that
should be minimized or reversed if possible.

Eric Siegel
Executive VP
    Programs and Planning
New York Hall of Science