ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ken Finn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:23:56 -0700

Dear Skoshi,

My name is Ken and currently I am running the High school Explainer
program here at the Exploratorium... High School students have been
our interpretive staff on the museum floor since we opened 39 years
ago.  We employ students 15 – 19, hiring three times (Summer Fall &
Spring) throughout the year and have many who work more than one term.

Also, I began our summer camp program here (ten years ago) and some
of our early participants grown up and become explainers!  Not really
on my radar when I got things going but an enormous thrill when it
happened.

These experience caused me to take note of your posting to the ASTC
listserv.

Other places (New York Hall of Science) have defined career ladders…
we do not… yet.  I have been un-mothballed to run a 11-14 year old
summer camp program here and have unofficially been using it stock
the High School Explainer program (not completely… just a few kids
each year).

Anyway, what I have been doing here might help you figure out where
you could take your thing.  I can go on and on and I am happy to chat
with you on the telephone (my communication tool of choice) if you
would like to explore ideas regarding directions you all could take
what you have.

I realize what we do is not exactly what you do, but there are a lot
of common threads.

Have good evening,

Ken
On Oct 8, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Skoshi Wise wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> Hello,
> I am looking for models of successful teen volunteer programs,
> specifically
> during summer months.
>
> Currently we have a Teen Internship Program where teens earn 40
> hours of
> community service by working with a summer camp (20 hours), exhibit
> interpreting during public hours (16 hours) and a behind the scenes
> project
> (4 hours).  At the end of the summer they get a letter for their
> school
> stating that they completed the 40 hour program and usually a small
> stipend
> ($50-$100).  The trouble is that once they do the program one
> summer, we
> lose them.  I would like to figure out a way to offer the
> outstanding teens
> from the summer before a paid position at the museum the following
> summer to
> give them an incentive to return.  I would like to see it develop
> to the
> point that as these teens get older they take on more of a leadership
> position in the summer camp and finally teach the camps when they
> are old
> enough.  Does anyone have a program similar to this model?  If so,
> where do
> you find the funds to pay the teens?  What works?  What does not work?
> Please tell all...
>
> Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
> --
> Skoshi Wise
> Director of Education
> ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
> 541.482.6767 ext. 26

> *
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at
> www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Ken Finn
High School Explainer Program Manager
Exploratorium