ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jamie Alonzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:38:15 -0400

Within the realm of STEM-focused ISE programs for students, there are
any number of admirable causes one could tackle.  Standards is
one.  General science literacy, decreasing the performance gap,
inspiring kids to pursue STEM careers are examples of others.  I
think the program mission and funding are key though I suspect that
the "financial tail" wags the "programmatic dog" for all of us at some level.

When starting our after school program (see
http://www.peabody.yale.edu/education/afterschool.html), the
standards question came up.  However, we decided to concentrate on
information and experiences students may not gain exposure to in the
formal school setting.  Specifically, we focus on science literacy,
college prep, STEM career awareness and transferable skills.  This
works for us because we've been successful at securing non-district
funding though the district does provide transportation and academic
credit for participating students.

Seems like I've run across at least one example (???) of a science
center earning pretty pennies from partnering formally and closely
with a district to support their testing needs though I think this
may have also included things like AP and/or SAT/ACT prep.

Take care all!

Jamie Alonzo

Jamie Alonzo
Coordinator, Education Special Projects
http://www.peabody.yale.edu/education/afterschool.html

Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
170 Whitney Avenue
P.O. Box 208118
New Haven, CT 06520-8118

203.432.6577 v
203.432.9816 f

"We live in a world where man has walked on the moon.
And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go."
-Apollo 13