ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:03:12 -0500

I recall a few things from The Best Damn Things We've Ever Done sessions
at the ASTC conference some years back (thanks, Linda & Cathy!) that
might help you:

One of the museums in upstate NY (it was either Rochester or Ithaca... I
think) kicked off a similar groundbreaking by having a whole lot of
people join hands to form one giant hand-battery to power a ribbon
melting, rather than cutting. Sounds neat, tho I have no idea how they
did it.  :/

And if you're looking for a cool audience participation thing to go with
the start of construction - some museums in Ohio (I believe it was both
COSI + Great Lakes) had a Big Machines event, where kids could sit it,
and maybe ride a bit in/move the parts a bit, huge construction
equipment. How cool would they find it to get into a bulldozer or steam
shovel or whatnot?

Good luck,
Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
The Children's Museum

"Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of
sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention.
Science has it all."

            -Principal Seymour Skinner, The Simpsons