ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marc Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 11:35:38 -0400

I heard this story, and it misses much of the point of producing food
"organically." The *inside* of an orange might not be much changed if it
is grown on a farm with minimal load of fertilizer and pesticide or in a
giant grove where the soil is thick with synthetic nitrogen fertilizer
and Roundup. The point is much more what happens to the land, the soil,
and the air and water on the factory farm -- and elsewhere -- via the
production process for the chemicals used in such quantity, and the
agricultural runoff from the non-organic facility.

Organic is a huge topic, particualrly here in the Hudson Valley where a
lot of farmland is under organic tilth, and agriculture/husbandry has
survived because of strong local support for it. This was interesting,
but didn't touch the real issue. Maybe, this being NPR, they'll have a