ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joan Freese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:38:14 -0600

In April 2007, DragonflyTV will launch its second season of shows shot
on location in science centers nationwide. As part of our press
campaign, I'd like to offer parenting and teacher magazines tips for
visiting science centers with tweens (kids age 8-12). To date, I've come
up with the following ideas. I'd love to get feedback and additional
thoughts from the field. Also, if you know of any materials I should
read on this subject, please send them my way.

Tips for Visiting Science Centers with Tweens

*	Every exhibit may not be age appropriate for tween audiences.
Prevent boredom by planning your visit ahead of time. Most museum
websites offer exhibit descriptions. Have kids decide what looks
interesting online before arriving at the science center. Then guide
them to their choices.
*	If your tweens are visiting a science center with younger kids,
have the older kids act as mentors or explainers. Older kids can help
their younger siblings and friends by reading exhibit text, helping with
hands-on experiments, and modeling that science is fun!
*	Task-oriented visits are excellent ideas for tweens. The
education staff at your museum may have established theme activities for
educational visits. Or create your own by visiting ahead of time and
finding the content that best fits with your curriculum or educational
goals. This approach is especially helpful in larger centers, when the
entire institution is too large to view in a single visit.
*	Extend your visit when you are back home by utilizing the
science center's website. Many sites have games and activities developed
especially for kids.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been enjoying all the
conversations on the ASTC listserv and think you science center folks
are remarkably generous and collaborative!

BTW, our website includes a database that kids can use to find a science
center near them. (Take a look at:
http://kids.pbs.org/dragonflytv/gps/gps_localize.php) If your
institution isn't included, please drop me a line and I'll add it next
time we update the feature.

Joan Freese

Manager of Promotion, Publication, and Web

DragonflyTV