ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:21:06 -0800

Last November, I sent out a survey asking about institutions with staff
dedicated to audience research and evaluation. I promised to share my
findings. Thank you to all who contributed to this study. It proved very
helpful for my own institution. I hope it will be useful to others.

During the month of November 2005, I gathered data from staff at seven
institutions through conversations and e-mail. This study was intended to
provide a glimpse of current practices for organizing audience research and
evaluation leadership within science-technology centers in the United
States. It was by no means comprehensive or complete. The small sample I
gathered suggests that there are many different approaches to
institutionalizing audience research and evaluation that are influenced by
institutional needs, priorities, and resources.

A brief summary of responses (including The Tech):

Organizational location: Most staff whose primary responsibility is for
audience research and evaluation are located in a department focused on
exhibits, programs and/or education.

Responsibility: Even though most jobs are focused on exhibit and/or program
evaluation, many also include marketing, and three support research and
evaluation across the institution.

Budget scope: Budgets are supported by a combination of operating and
grants/project funds-or entirely by project and grant funds.

Staff: Most departments have one or two full time staff and one or more part
time or temporary staff. Several had interns or volunteers.

Software: Excel and SPSS were the most commonly cited software programs
used. Staff also use Word, Survey Pro, Survey Monkey, Access and Nvivo.

Please let me know if you would like a more detailed summary.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Senior Director, Evaluation, Planning & Research
The Tech Museum of Innovation          [log in to unmask]
201 S Market St                                          408-795-6303
San Jose, CA  95113                                  fax 408-279-7167