ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:45:11 -0500

They are wonderful for getting at what your audience wants as opposed to what you think they want (or what YOU want!).  Market research is everything, you NEVER want to develop anything in a vacuum.

What are you testing for?  That needs to be very clear.  Is it how they "see" your place?  What kinds of programs/exhibits they want (that can be too broad)?  Is it how to reach and attract them effectively, particularly in this economy?  It works VERY well if you are comparing ideas for exhibits (ie, different approaches, looks, etc.)

You need a very good set of facilitators who know how to probe.  The hardest thing for staffers watching behind the window is to stay calm and not say, "they don't get it".

How are you choosing your participants?  Are they people who are already committed (members) or are they newbies who you want to target?  Age/gender/ethnicity?  You need to provide food, and compensate them (cash or free visits).

Just some random thoughts,

Beryl Rosenthal