ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:56:39 -0700

True enough that most labs aren't very interesting most of the time
(especially on a Sunday—I checked out a couple of lab cams this
Sunday and of course found no one at home), but Chris's original
question didn't say that the project will necessarily use continuous
live streaming.  What if, instead, the idea is to connect kids to
scientists in their labs on a scheduled basis.  Bob Ballard's Jason
Project is a possible model for that, although he takes the kids
virtually into the field rather than the lab.  Another possible model
is the Cornell Ornithology Lab, which makes extensive use of live
video streaming to engage the public in citizen science projects,
although again the emphasis is on field sites rather than labs.

Chuck Howarth

Gyroscope has moved!  Please note our new address:
Gyroscope, Inc.
283 Fourth Street, Suite 201
Oakland, CA  94607
510-986-0111