ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:24:47 -0500

Hi Allan,

Years ago my father (who was an active inventor in the industrial
control field) got interested in this problem. In the process he came up
with a design that I have always felt deserved use. Its main feature was
a series of wayfinding stations that were set flat and horizontally (not
on the wall!) and oriented so the visitor was oriented in the same way
as the station when it was approached. The station was flat with a
pictorial representation of the overall picture (map) with a mark
showing where you are. This mark was also raised with a small "bump" so
the visitor could place a hand-out map that was the same over the
station and then press to make an indent to show where they had been.

The most critical aspect of this system was to have the stations mounted
horizontally and oriented not toward North but rather toward what the
visitor was actually seeing at the time. Folks cannot translate a
vertically mounted map to help them get located (or at least a very
significant number of folks can't do this).

Dad died a few years ago and I know he'd be thrilled if you could use
this idea or portions thereof no charge or cost. The same goes for
anyone else who might want to use this idea.

John Bowditch
Director of Exhibits
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum